Hot Jobs! Humanities Librarian
SLIS alumna Arianne Hartsell-Gundy (MLS/MA'05) is now a Humanities Librarian at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. She was selected as a 2010 American Library Association (ALA) Emerging Leader. We asked her in an email interview to give some updates about her career — see below:
- Main Job Duties:
- Liaison to English, Theatre, and Communication.
- Favorite Aspects of Work:
- I really love helping faculty and students track down just the right information. It can feel like solving a puzzle. I also enjoy developing relationships with faculty and graduate students (and sometimes undergraduates too).
- Tips for Students:
- Try to get work experience in a library while in school. You'll understand better what you want to do, and the experience will look good to future employees. Try to keep up with technology as much as possible. If you are interested in working in the humanities, learn as much as you can about digital humanities.
- ALA Emerging Leader Experience:
- I was an Emerging Leader in 2010. It was a great experience. I enjoyed working with librarians from a variety of areas. Most of the time I work with academic librarians, but in the EL program I got to know public, school, and special librarians.
Posted January 14, 2013