A quick scan of your iPhone apps likely proves the value of the geography cognate—from Google Maps to real estate applications like Zillow, more people rely on mapping technology to make daily decisions than ever before. Meanwhile, geo tracking is changing the way that companies plan their marketing strategies, scientists predict the spread of epidemics, and activists coordinate their advocacy efforts.
This cognate provides you with an overview of geography as a science, and various techniques, such as remote sensing theory and digital image processing used in environmental applications. Learn about Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and how to analyze and interpret geographic data. Students interested in graduate school should consider further studies in informatics and geography.
This cognate fulfills the Geography minor.
Select one course from the following:
- GEOG-G 107 Physical Systems of the Environment
- GEOG-G 109 Weather and Climate
- GEOG-G 110 Introduction to Human Geography
- GEOG-G 120 World Regional Geography
Select four courses from the following:
- GEOG-G 237 Cartography and Geographic Information
- GEOG-G 250 Computer Methods in Geography
- GEOG-G 336 Environmental Remote Sensing
- GEOG-G 338 Geographic Information Science
- GEOG-G 436 Advanced Remote Sensing: Digital Image Processing
- GEOG-G 438 Advanced Geographic Information Science
- GEOG-G 488 Applied Spatial Statistics