Technology has revolutionized the world of journalism. Anyone can be a reporter nowadays, capturing stories using iPhones and other mobile devices via the power of mobile computing. Reporters rely on technology to research and deliver news, more now than ever.
This cognate teaches you the essentials of journalism—reporting, writing, editing and other tools, such as graphic design and visual communication. Learn how the journalistic landscape has changed with blogging, social media and other forms of instant news delivery.
If you are interested in a career in journalism, Web publishing, Web design, content development, or technical writing, the journalism cognate offers a professional perspective on how information is shared in a networked and mobile world. Students interested in graduate school should consider further studies in informatics and journalism.
- JOUR-J 110 Foundations of Journalism and Mass Communication
- JOUR-J 200 Reporting, Writing, and Editing I
- JOUR-J 210 Visual Communication
Select three courses from the following:
- JOUR-J 303 Online Journalism
- JOUR-J 360 Journalism Specialties (Topic: Web Design)
- JOUR-J 362 Journalism Multimedia Storytelling
- JOUR-J 463 Graphic Design I
- JOUR-J 464 Infographics
- JOUR-J 465 Graphic Design II