Master of Information Science Requirements
The program requires 36 credit hours of coursework and a digital literacy requirement.
You can also expand your expertise and career possibilities with a dual degree or specialization.
FOUNDATION REQUIREMENTS (18 cr.):
- Z510 Introduction to Information Science (3 cr.)
*Must be taken during the first semester or first semester offered
- Z511 Database Design (3 cr.)
- Z515 Information Architecture (3 cr.)
- Z516 Human Computer Interaction (3 cr.)
- Choose one of the following classes: (3cr.)
- Programming Requirement (3 cr.)
The 3 credit hour open-ended programming requirement can be fulfilled with a variety of programming courses in or outside of ILS, or waived if a student has programming experience. Options to meet this requirement:
In order to waive the programming requirement please complete this form Course Waiver Approval Form
To substitute an outside course please complete this form Outside Course Approval Form
ELECTIVES (18 cr.):
Flexible, creative, rich electives are offered. Your choices include:
- A wide variety of interdisciplinary ILS Courses
- Z605 - Internship in Library and Information Science
- Taking up to six credit hours in other IU departments (requiring an Outside Course Approval Form for each course). [Effective Fall 2013, with certain specializations and with approval, M.I.S. students may take up nine outside credit hours if they are all taken within other units of the School of Informatics and Computing.]
- Z601 - Directed Readings or Z602 - Directed Research courses with ILS faculty for (1-6 hours)—course approval forms are required.
- Z603 - Workshop in Library and Information Science. Workshop in Library and Information Science. ILS offers a changing series of technical 1.5 credit workshops of which you may take four (e.g. XML, EAD, Perl/CGI, Unix, Web Graphics, PHP).
- Z604 - Topics in Library and Information Science, ILS offers a changing selection of topics courses on professional issues.
A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (B) is required for graduation.
Courses in which you receive a grade lower than C (2.0) will not count toward requirements for any ILS degree. An elective course in which an unacceptable grade is earned either must be repeated or another course must be taken in its place. Repeating a course in which you received an unacceptable grade or taking another in its place does not remove the credit points for that course from your cumulative GPA. All grades received in ILS courses will be counted in the ILS and IU GPA.